A small but rapidly growing distribution company, located in suburban Philadelphia in the Plymouth Meeting area, is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to join their growing Infrastructure Operations team. The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for the strategy, design, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of all IT infrastructure particularly pertaining to servers, storage, virtualization, and cloud. This is a strategic technical engineering position that will aid in the organization's push to adopt public cloud infrastructure for key initiatives. The ideal candidate will possess skills in Windows server, VMware, enterprise storage (Pure, NetApp, etc.), and Microsoft Azure.
The Senior Systems Engineer will work closely with business partners to develop and implement solutions that align with business goals. This is hands-on, senior level technical role that requires excellent technical skills and proven attention to details, processes, and discipline within a production enterprise environment.
- Design, implement, and maintain all areas of server and storage technology including hardware maintenance, monitoring, troubleshooting, and support.
- Manage and support the organization’s Windows (Active Directory, Group Policy, etc.) infrastructure, VMware vSphere infrastructure, and physical servers
- Administer and support the organization’s cloud environments, including (but not limited to) Office 365 and Microsoft Azure.
- Administer and support the organization’s backup and recovery infrastructure
- Be apprised of industry best practices and procedures to provide strategy and support for infrastructure.
- Research, evaluate, and implement emerging technologies that fit current and future business needs.
- Maintain critical enterprise systems and business applications.
- Work closely with network, security, development, application, and support teams in the implementation of infrastructure components that support emerging technologies and applications.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of DR scenarios and testing.
- Assume technical leadership role in problem resolution and root cause analysis.
- Maintain effective external relationships with vendors, consultants, and service providers; leverages these relationships to ensure that the best fit solutions and resources are available to the company.
- Serve as final escalation point for issues that cannot be resolved by other support tiers or other teams’ support personnel.
- Ability to manage and maintain multi-tier technical architectures, consisting of application servers, web servers, load balancers, databases, storage, and networking components
- Advanced knowledge of Windows Server, Active Directory, Group Policy, and related services
- Advanced knowledge of virtualization infrastructure, especially VMware vSphere
- Experience administering Microsoft cloud services (Office 365, SharePoint Online, Exchange Online, Teams, etc.)
- Experience in the design, implementation, and support of public cloud infrastructure, preferably Microsoft Azure, in a production environment
- Strong Azure experience, including Azure Active Directory, deploying Azure VM templates and managing Azure VMs, virtual networks, storage, Azure Site Recovery, and other Azure services
- Experience with PowerShell and/or Python scripting, or other automation tools
- Functional knowledge of core networking concepts including TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, routers, switches, firewalls, load balancing, VLAN segmentation, etc.
- Ability to build and maintain a positive working relationship with vendors, customers, and co-workers
- Ability to research, analyze data, and solve complex technical and process-related problems
- Proven project management experience
- Ability to lead and mentor other team members and engineers
- Experience supporting Linux systems, preferably RHEL
- Experience working with blade centers, preferably Cisco UCS
- Experience with enterprise storage systems, preferably Pure Storage
- Experience with backup and recovery solutions, preferably Commvault
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, or related field, or equivalent industry experience
- 7-10 years of relevant IT industry experience
- Experience in a senior level technical role
- Relevant industry recognized certifications (MCSE, VCP, etc.)
Windows server, VMware, enterprise storage (Pure, NetApp, etc.), and Microsoft Azure.